Friday, February 22, 2013

Yet Another Reason I'm Excited About Using MinecraftEDU

I just got the green light to purchase the student licenses I need to use MinecraftEDU with my Digital World students, and I am super stoked.  The same day I began the process of requisitioning the licenses, I read this great blog post by my friend and fellow EdTech Geek, Chris Scott:

Group Problem Solving and Challenge Based Learning

I can totally relate to what he describes in one sense: my students at my previous school frequently taught each other, discovered new features, and created better work than I could have simply assigned because there was a lot of freedom within my lab, and a huge spirit of cooperation and collaboration, even though the tasks were usually part of individual projects.  I was often heard to say, "No one crosses the finish line until we all can."

I'm excited by how enthusiastic Chris is and also by how amazing it is when, left to their own devices, students will often find better solutions than we offer, and -- best of all -- they'll OWN those solutions from the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment