Friday, February 8, 2013

Teaching Introverted Kids and the Psychology of Music (two separate things.....sort of)

There's been a lot of press, chatter, and research about education and introversion lately.  I'm by my own admission a huge extravert, but I know and love many people who are not like me.  And over the past twenty years, I've had my fair share of introverted students.  While it's true the approach is much different, we really can't allow these young folks to eschew class participation when it doesn't feel good.  It's training for other parts of life, as Jessica Lahey so expertly explains in this article in The Atlantic, Introverted Kids Need to Learn to Speak Up at School.

And now for something completely different.

Granted, this is more or less an advertisement for UF's Music Education department, but it's extremely well done, and it makes an excellent case not only for the arts in schools, but for considering the many benefits of music to our learning, health, and more.


No comments:

Post a Comment